What is Video Games Tax Relief (VGTR)?
Video Games Tax Relif (VGTR) is a valuable government incentive. It allows UK game developers to claim a 20% cash repayment from HMRC after they have spent money on developing domestic video games.
To be eligible, computer games must qualify as being British under the Video Games Cultural Test, which is administered by the British Film Institute (BFI).
The company must be responsible for the majority of the planning, designing, developing and testing of the game to pass the BFI cultural test. In addition, at least 25% of your eligible costs must be incurred in the European Economic Area.
Your company can claim VGTR if:
- The video game is certified as British by the BFI
- It's intended for supply to the general public
- At least 25% of core expenditure is on goods or services provided from within the European Economic Area (EEA)
- You were actively engaged in planning and decision-making
- You directly negotiated and paid for rights, goods and services
- If two or more companies are working on the same game, only one may claim for VGTR
GET A CALL BACK
If you need to speak to us about a general query fill in the form below and we will call you back within the same working day.